Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday 10/27 Chimi's and White Chicken Chili

Despite it being blah Monday (I normally hate Monday's), today wasn't so bad. Prep time on the Chimichangas was about 10 mins and then they were baked for 30 mins. No prob! I prepped while the baby ate a teething biscuit - what a mess! - and then I fed her some prunes and applesauce while they cooked! See below for crock pot prep for Tuesday.

My girl figured out how to actually JUMP in her jumperoo today. So cute!! Previously, she had just kinda dangled and kicked. Now she JUMPS. Maybe I should post a video some other time.

WW Turkey Chimichangas
Taken from WW recipe site
Serves 6-8 depending on portion size and how much filling you put in each shell
***** We loved these. The only change I would make is to add frijoles negros (black beans).

3/4 lb ground turkey
3/4 lb rehydrated TVP
1 cup frozen pepper medley
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
a good palmful ground cumin
dash cinnamon
a good palmful chili powder
a good palmful smoked paprika
1 can enchilada sauce
6 tortillas (OK I guess you're supposed to use flour to make them "chimichangas" but I use corn so I guess technically I'm making enchiladas? Haha)
1 cup reduced fat mexican cheese

Grill up turkey, peppers, onions, garlic, spices and corn in a skillet. Add TVP. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 can enchilada sauce. Let simmer for another 5 minutes. Warm up tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds (I steamed them with my steamer because it was already out). Spoon mixture into tortillas and roll up. Put in a baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over chimis, sprinkle with reduced fat cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy on the ends.


I also prepped this for tomorrow:
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
recipe zaar recipe #28659
**** I loved this - it was flavorful but the best part was the beans: they were great!
11/16: I made this a second time with some modifications, it was even better! Mods in [].

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed [11/16: I used 5 boneless skinless thighs and it was GREAT]
1 large onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained [I used dry white beans this time]
1 teaspoon mustard powder [1 tbl grey poupon this time - GREAT addition, will do this every time]
1 teaspoon ground cumin [1 tbl]
1 tbl chili powder
1 tbl smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Essentially chuck all of this stuff in the crock pot!! I cut the chicken into strips but you could cube it or even toss it in whole (I've done that before).

Stay tuned for my review tomorrow! I'm off to do some work.

No comments: